“I like to know more about natural fibres” - see also #5 in our FAQ's
Here are some handy links to find out more about hemp fibres - what and where and how. http://www.textileschool.com/articles/374/hemp-natural-cellulose-bast-fibres
You will notice the same sites have information on ORGANIC COTTON, Bamboo, Flax and LINEN and SILK and other Natural Fibres.
Here is a post that helps you understand more about Natural Fabrics, written by one of our fans. :-) http://www.ecofashionsewing.com/fibres-textiles/fabric-fashion-industry-natural-fibres/.
This site has a well referenced list of many facts about Hemp, including comparison to cotton, and environmental benefits. http://www.hempfarm.org/Papers/Hemp_Facts.html
NINE FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF HEMP CLOTHING
1. IT LASTS LONGER - Hemp fibres are 3 times stronger than cotton and 25 times more durable.
2. IT IS COOLER IN SUMMER AND WARMER IN WINTER - Hemp provides excellent ‘climate control’ for the wearer with the hollow fibre acting as an insulator, keeping them cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
3. IT IS SOFT AND COMFORTABLE - Hemp softens with wearing and washing, without losing its strength. This means that the more it is worn and washed, it becomes even more comfortable. You can expect to wear out before your shirt does.
4. IT IS EASY CARE - Hemp fibre also has a ‘springiness’ or ‘memory’ so that creasing is less than other natural fibres and gets less as the garment is used.
5. IT HOLDS IT’S SHAPE -Hemp’s superior strength and durability means garments still look good long after their first wear.
6. IT IS HEALTHIER - Hemp fibre shape also means that it has improved absorbency and ‘breathability’. Hemp is naturally resistant to mildew, bacteria, and insects.
7. IT HAS IN-BUILT UV PROTECTION - Hemp offers greater UV protection, blocking up to 95% of the sun’s harmful rays.
8. IT GIVES STUNNING PRINT RESOLUTION - Hemp has proven it can hold the finest detail when printed, and also gives great results with embroidered designs.
9. IT IS BETTER FOR OUR PLANET - Hemp is grown chemical free, enriches its soil, saves water and produces 2 – 4 times more fibre per area than other sources.
Here is a good article on Tencel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyocell a
Bamboo- Tencel - Viscose Rayon
Bamboo - Tencel - Viscose Rayon